Friday, March 13, 2015

Talking about CXF at Apache Con NA 2015

Apache Con NA 2015 will be held in Austin, Texas on April 13-16 and as it is usually the case there will be several presentations done there about Apache CXF. There will be interesting presentations from Hadrian and JB too. There will be many other great presentations as usual.

As far as CXF presentations are concerned:

Aki Yoshida will talk about combining Swagger (Web) Sockets, Apache Olingo and CXF Web Sockets Transport - now, this is seriously cool :-) The good news the presentations will be available online for those who will not be able to see it live.

Andriy Redko will talk about something which equally rocks, about combining a CXF Search Extension (FIQL or OData/Olingo based), Apache Tika and Lucene to show the effective search support for uploaded PDF and Open Office documents.

Attending both presentations can get anyone over-excited, that is for sure :-).
This is going to be tough, choosing to which presentation to go with my other colleagues presenting on the same day.


Finally, I will do the introduction of Apache CXF JOSE implementation which I briefly introduced in the previous blog. I'll describe all that CXF JOSE project has in place, and finish with a demo.

The demo deserves a special attention: I haven't written this demo, Anders Rundgren did. The original demo is here. This appears to be like a regular JavaScript-based demo but it is bigger than that, it shows what WebCrypto can do. Supporting generic browser-based signature applications, and interoperating with target servers in a variety of formats, with JOSE one of them. So the demo will show a WebCrypto client interoperating with an Apache CXF JOSE server.


Anders has been incredibly helpful and supportive, helped me to get his demo running in no time. Anders is working on a JSON Clear Signature (JCS) initiative that offers an XML Signature like support for signing JSON documents.  JCS are easier to understand than JOSE formats where Base64URL content representations are used. I'd like to encourage the interested users experiment with JCS, and help Anders. Hopefully something similar to JCS will be supported as part of a wider JOSE effort in the future.

I'm happy as usual I've got a talk selected and my employer's support to travel to Apache Con. It is always great to talk to my colleagues who work with CXF and other Apache technologies, it is important to show others CXF is very much alive and 'looks forward'. I regret I won't see some of my team colleagues there who haven't had a chance to submit for various important reasons but overall I'm looking forward to the conference with a great anticipation. Especially because I promised someone to beat him in chess after the presentations are over :-).

See you there !






No comments: